Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Peanut Buttery Hummus (No Tahini)

Planning on whipping up some hummus but don't have any tahini on hand? Let peanut butter come to your rescue!

It happened to me one day few weeks ago. I forgot to get more tahini when I went grocery shopping. Save myself from taking another trip back to the store, I saw my best friend, Google. I searched for the best substitution of tahini - peanut butter. Decided to give it a try. My family never noticed the difference especially saying the flavors I make every time tastes good & delicious. My oldest is NOT a peanut butter person, she dislikes anything that tastes or have peanut butter. She ate hummus wraps, hummus w/ crackers, and few others.. Never noticed the difference! 

I tripled the recipe as I make for family of SIX. Very simple and easy!

ENJOY!!




Ingredients

  • 1 can (19 ounces) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
  • 1-2 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter (preferably unsweetened, but conventional is fine too)
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • Himaylian salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup of chopped peanuts (optional, for serving)
  • Pinch of smoked, hot paprika (optional, for serving)
  • Parsley, herbs and seasonings for taste 

Preparation

1. Put everything except the parsley in a food processor/blender and begin to process; add the chickpea liquid or water as needed to allow the machine to produce a smooth puree.

2. Taste and adjust the seasoning (I often find I like to add much more lemon juice). Serve, drizzled with the olive oil and sprinkled with a bit more cumin or paprika and some parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment